Saturday, February 12, 2011

Divorce via Facebook

One of my close friends is getting divorced. . . again. I really liked his first wife, she was beautiful and very intelligent, but I didn't like what she did to him. It took a long time to warm up to his second wife, but I did. I heard of all this via Facebook, and am actually quite sad that he is going through it again. It seems though after briefly talking to his wife that this could be totally fixable, yet my friend doesn't seem to want to fix it. This is coupled with the fact that he has taken up with another woman who "says all the right things." This is pretty sad. And without that other woman, I think that the marriage could have been saved. I don't buy his story that not being made aware of money is worse than cheating with someone else. That is just such bullshit. Although it is the root of many a divorce, and marriages, money should never be an issue to opt for a divorce. Marriage and divorce is like fast food in America. If you don't like it, DON'T get married.

Which brings me to my next bone to pick, how much detail of your life do you post up on Facebook, which is on the Internet for all to see, whether you fix your privacy settings or not, if it is on the Internet, it can be seen. I have struggled with what should and shouldn't be shared on Facebook or any other website for that matter since my dad became ill. My sister had been posting condition updates on him via CaringBridge, but I felt opposed to it in a way because these are private family matters in my opinion, just like my friend's Divorce via Facebook. Do all of your friends want to know every minute detail of your daily goings on? What you ate for lunch or where you were last night? Or should you stick to what is benign?

No comments: