Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Dream 4: Chinese guy and Shark Tales

Last night I had a dream that I was surfing with this guy who surfs the same break as I. In reality he rides a 5'8 or so red twin fin. In my dream he was riding a gray 6ft twin, with his trademark no leash. The thing is, we were surfing and he bailed on his board and swam over to me for help. You see he was being followed by a shark, and needed a lift back to shore on my longboard, so I gave him one, and that was the end of it. Weird huh.

Coincindentally, my neighbor, Sally, who walks five miles a day at all times of the day, was walking by my house this morning as I was putting my board into my truck and told me about her son's shark encounter up in Monterey. Monterey is up the coast a bit, just south of San Francisco. If you are familiar with John Steinbeck's body of work (Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath, Cannery Row, and my all time favorite book, The Pearl), then you'll know the significance of Monterey.

Anyway, Sally's son was surfing off Monterey when he was targeted and followed in by what he estimates to be a 12ft Great White Shark. As she relayed this to me, I was thinking about my dream of the night before., And to top it all off, as I was driving to the beach to surf before work, I happened to be following a Toyota pickup truck that had a custom license plate on it that read SHRK DVA. This could have meant alot of different things, but to me it meant Shark something. So I was tripping pretty hard by the time I got to the surf, The last thing I needed to hear was the lyrics to Dance with me to really freak me out. I associate the lyrics with the movie JAWS. Anyway, I suited up and went surfing anyway. The waves were pretty good, about overhead but more crowded than ever. But at least there was surf. I caught several good waves, including a good backdoor shot that unfortunately closed out, but the drop in was worth it. If anyone tells yuo that surfing is better than sex, believe it. It was such pure enjoyment today, better than what was not happening the last few weeks both in and out of the water.

No comments: