Sunday, March 13, 2005

What Old Glory Means to Me

by Jeremy Virata

Old Glory means a great deal to my family and me. Old Glory means things like freedom and equal rights.
The stars on Old Glory stand for the 50 states, and the stripes stand for the 13 colonies. Old Glory means a lot to me because respect and apperciate where I live and what I have. Most kids don't even realize that in many countries, families can't even afford to feed or take care of themselves.
Old Glory got its name from a man named William Driver. Whenever William Driver would set sail, he would fly Old Glory. During the Civil War, he would hide Old Glory in a safe place where no one would find it.
Again I am very thankful for what I have. I make $5 a week for doing my chores. People in other parts of the world, including kids, only make a few pennies a day. So we should probably be thankful for what we have. We are very lucky to live in America.

This essay was submitted by Jeremy to his 6th grade class for an essay writing contest. Six sixth graders' essays were chosen from his school of several hundred, in a school district of which there were 1101 entries. Jeremy's essay won an award, an award of which 24 students of the 1101 were chosen as winners at the district level. Although his essay didn't make it to regionals, he was stoked all the same.



Jeremy and two classmates at awards ceremony

No comments: