Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Fatty foods will kill you

It has been about a month since I learned that I have high cholesterol and high triglicerides. I fully understood that cholesterol is bad for you, yet I still ate the in-n-out burgers and fries for lunch and eggs, bacon and rice for breakfast. I always enjoyed cooking up eggs and bacon for breakfast on some days and toast with eggs and cheese on other days. This has gone on for so many years. It has gone on for too long. Well it has pretty much stopped. I think I've had two eggs in the last 30 days. I haven't had any bacon, have cut down severely on red meat and have focused my attention more on fish and chicken. I know that meat is where the cholesterol comes from, and I have cut back a lot on meat as well as stops to the local Del Taco, Popeyes and other fast food joints.

I always figured that if I exercised everyday, which I have done for the most part for the last five years, I wouldn't have to worry about what I ate, but the lab results dashed that erroneous assumption. In addition to surfing, I ride a bike a few days a week. Surfing though is a 5 days a week, hour and a half endeavor and it is by far my favorite form of exercise, even better than sex (though I am not sure how many calories an hour sex session would burn).

I've also started running the beach, from the Newport Pier to the first jetty, then run-walking to the second and third jetty. My legs are still sore since I took up running. I've started slow but hope to run three jetties without stopping by the end of the summer. I am really serious about changing my eating habits, and hopefully I'll be able to get back in the shape that I was in 15 years ago. That means losing about 15 lbs and trying to get my flat stomach back. I know its there behind the tummy somewhere. I am hoping that I can reverse some of the damage that eating all that high cholesterol food has wrought on my body. Its truly a wake up call, as I am no longer young, dumb and 21.

No comments: