Monday, June 20, 2005

7ft 2 GT Surf Designs

I'll be working at home for the most of the Summer as Jeremy will be attending summer school, and I will be the one to drive him. It's not really that big a deal, except for the fact it gets hot in my "home office." At any rate, I finally picked up a new surfboard, a 7ft 2-inch guy Takayama "GWAT" I know its a lame name for an Egg shaped board, but that is what he calls it. Its got the concaved nose like a noserider, is wide like a longboard, but surfs like a shortboard. I got a barrel on my fourth wave riding it yesterday. And that is with the 2+1. I am going to pull the sidebites and ride it as a single and see how it rides as soon as I get used to the set up. So far so good, but haven't really tested it in overhead waves, which is why I bought it in the first place. On one of the biggest days at Newport last summer, I couldn't make the paddle out because my 9'2 was too darned big and unwieldy. I actually had my eye on this exact shaped board from GT for more than a year, and somebody put one up on eBay and I bought it. $425 was the price, which is a bit steep for a surfboard, actually the most I ever spent for a board, but his boards go for $800 new and I am not going to pay close to $1000 for a surfboard, Guy Takayama or not. Guy is the cousin of my friend Mike, the guy who taught me how to surf back in the late 70s. Guy learned to shape from his ncle Donald, whose boards go for $1000 plus. crazy huh!. When I started surfing, a new board was around $350. You can still get a board for $350, but at that price, you are buying a board made by a shaping machine in China. Seriously, you can buy a surfboard at Costco now that is made in China. At least I know that my GWAT was shaped by a protege of a true shaping master.

No comments: