Wednesday, June 15, 2005

South Beach Diet Week 2

Well it is week two of my South Beach Diet, recommended by my doctor. It has been a pretty tough week, but I am now to the point when I look at something like a chili cheese dog from 711 or an in-n-out-burger, I don't mind that I am not eating that stuff anymore. The more difficult comfort foods are the chocolate bars. I am truly a sucker for Reese's peanut butter cups, Snickers bars, and Hershey chocolate bars. I really miss those things, but sugar is sugar, so they have been exed off my eating list. Phase 2 of the diet starts this monday, and for the first time, dark chocolate will be allowed in moderation. Bacon and eggs have been replaced by veggie based sausage patties and egg substitutes. I've liked the Morning star brand even before I gave upmthe bacon and spam and such, so, it wasn't much of a stretch with the veggie based patties. I've also been sprinkling the Morningstar "bacon" on my salads, so that helps out a lot. I have never eaten so much salad in the past week as I have done this last week, but it actually doesn't other me. Salad is pretty good stuff. And I have lost weight too. I was 165 when I started this thing, so I think I must have lost about 5lbs. I'll know when I buy a scale. I want to get down to about 150 to 155 and maintain the weight there. I've also started taking the drug prescribed by my doctor, Antara, which is supposed to treat cholesterol and lipid disorders. Little buggers are expensive and $90 for 30 pills. My health insurance pretty much sucks and won't cover it, but what can I do except watch my diet closely and pray that my blood chemistries improve.

No comments: