Sunday, September 11, 2005

High school reunion

I went to my 20th high school reunion with my friend Mike Heinle and his wife. who graduated a year after me but are friends with some classmates of mine. We sat with two classmates I had went to school with since grade school and junior high. Lori Baker and Denise Ferrell. Lori looks totally different from when I knew her last. We were friends in grade school, she was the first girl I kissed, back when I was in 6th grade. but in high school we didn't hang out at all. Lori looks totally different from how I remember her. Same with Denise Ferrell. She is still a firecracker latina, all 5ft and 100 lbs of her. Both lori and her are good friends, they go to Havasu a lot and meet up with Mike and his wife.

Now on to the others I spoke briefly with last night. I spoke with Jurina Mendoza briefly last night too. Jurina was my first high school crush. We dated briefly and enjoyed a brief encounter in front of her house way back in 1981 that I wasn't really prepared for. I had a crush on her throughout high school, but I was just too dorky for her. I used to pull on a green beret that she wore in 10th grade. She is good friends with one of my best friends, Chris Panaia. Through Chris, over the years, I learned that Jurina became a hair stylist for 7 years, then she went to culinary school and served as a chef for several years, and currently, when I talked to her, she was a server at a "fine dining" restaurant, where the pay is better than that of a chef. She was smokin hot last night, though she did have a few age lines on her face. I forgot to mention that she is half filipina, her dad being a filipino and her mom being Finnish, so she is pretty hot. I remember I was at a party in the Philippines in 1985 and there was this girl who looked just like her and I thought it was her, but it turned out that she was a movie star named Mags Bonnin. I sort a felt a bit sheepish then though cause I was staring at her, thinking she was jurina when she was not. Anyway, there were others who surprised me. Without mentioning names, I talked with two other girls who really aged over the last 20 years. I think they were smokers because there skin was really aged, and I believe smoking does that to your skin. One of the girls, I thought she was the cutest girl at the school back then , and when the comment mentioning it to her husband, he said, perhaps you should tell her, as it would make her really happy. But I didn't. The other girl I spoke to only attended OVHS for two years then she moved away. She looked really old. I saw next to her in Jr high because her last name began with a T which is two from V. We were talking about her around the table and the girls at the table were really brutal. They ahd said that she definitely ahd plastic surgery. I didn'tr get into it with them.


I spoke with Kenny Reda, he is a fellow surfer who was going to make the move to Maui but decided against it, but then he moved from Laguna Niguel to Temecula, and now I think he is regreting it. Moving his family to Temecula for a bigger house I think was a mistake because now he is 40 miles from the beach instead of just a few miles. He was complaining about that.

Chris mentioned that the people we didn't talk to in high school, still didn't talk to us. The usual cliques that were around in high school were still around. Unbelievable. One funny scene was with this guy I know by face only, he was in the school plays and was a struggling actor last time I saw him hawking stuff at the swap meet. He shows up with this woman who had these huge, absolutely HUGE pointy breasts, and I am talking to Kenny and he says, Hey guys, as he walks by and smiles, with this big breated woman in tow. It sort of is fitting for the guy, but to us, it seemed like a huge charade, big breasted woman at the high school reunion.

I spoke with some woman who I never spoke with while in high school, one the city manager of Half Moon Bay and the other a friend of Jurina's who still doesn't know what she wants to do with her life, though she is taking filmmaking class. Those were some intersting conversations.

One funny thing, you'd go up to some people you had classes with and they wouldn't remember your name and the standard line was, "Hey Bro, how you been." As if they even gave a fuck what your name was.

That is the state of Ocean View High School's 20th reunion affairs. Not a lot of people showed up, and I think it was a waste of $90. But I did get to speak with some friends. I had no idea that Brian Capoccia got busted by the DEA right after high school. When he told me that I couldn't believe it. Its been a long 20 years. A lot of things have changed, yet a lot of things stay the same. A lot of girls I knew look aged 20 years while a few others I didn't know, Janet Lidberg, Rebekah Fleishman, look absolutely the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OVHS -- which school is that? sounds like it was a trip, seeing all those people from puberty. i am bummed i did not have a 20th. if they had a 30th, would you go to it?
--amy