Saturday, February 25, 2006

Dogging you

Since the surf has been flat for the last seven days, I have been trying to figure out other ways to exercise. During the times I went down to Newport to check the surf, I would bring a pair of running shoes just in case. Well, during the last week I had to use those shoes because of the flatness of the surf. I tell you I'd much rather surf in cold water than run, because running is harsh on my old body. I had back pains a few days after my initial run, which lasted a whole 30 minutes. So I found alternatives in biking around the neighborhood and just plain walking.

On my walk this morning around the neighborhood, I was accosted by a chocolate lab. He didn't bite or anything, but he kept on charging at me then he'd drop back. A few times he came up to me to sniff me out but he was still doing that charging thing. So I kept walking and he'd follow me then fall back. Just when I was getting a bit frustrated, a dog catcher pulls up. I walk toward his truck and then walk away. He finally comes out, and says, is that your dog? I tell him no. He then proceeds to come out of his truck. The dog sees him, stops, growls a bit and then takes off running, as if he knew what the dog catcher was all about. I don't know if he caught the dog or not, but it was a relief that he showed up at the time he did. Somebody must have called to complain about the dog.

I am hoping that the surf picks up next week because without surfing, my whole balance gets out of whack. Masungit, irritable, just a pain in the butt attitude. Everything suffers when there is no surf.

No comments: