Friday, May 19, 2006

Gillian Virata

Today I had an email conversation with Gillian Virata, daughter of Cesar and Joy Virata. It was really weird, because she sent an email to me, meant for someone else, detailing her plane itinerary from LA to Vegas. I then sent her the following email back:

Hi Gi,

It would be nice to meet you at LAX or Vegas, but I have no idea who you are. You might want to check your email address book so you can inform the Virata that (who) you are really trying to reach. BTW, are you a student at George Washington University? Just curious what you are studying.

John Bautista Virata


She then responded:

Hi John,

Sorry about that.

I finished a mid-career master's degree at GWU in Jan. 2005 in
International Policy and Practice. You write about cameras?

Gillian Virata

Which got me to thinking. Here is this woman in her 40s, who graduated from college in 1976 and writes about such worldy things as The Effects of U.S Sugar Policy
, has two masters degrees from U.S. colleges, andasks me, you write about cameras? Now I am not sure if that is a putdown from some intellectual, but it got me to thinking, what has my writing come down to? Yes I do write about cameras. That is what I do for a living. But at one point in my life, the only thing I liked to write were love letters, and Philippine political topics.

I write about cameras. I went to journalism school to "write about cameras"?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it wasn't a put down. I just "googled" your name and what came up were articles about cameras. I admit though that I didn't check all the links, probably just the first one.

Gillian

jb virata said...

Not at all. At the time, it got me to thinking, I've been writing about such things for 13 years and was wondering what my writing meant to me, then I was able to separate what I do from who I am.