Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The Pictures below. . .

I've been working with the Hello image uploading app that was recommended to me by a master blogger with a "Sunny" disposition, so bear with if I mess up. At any rate, the watches are my father's current obsession, so much so that he bought three of them within a few months and even took me and my sister to a dinner at Tommy Bahama in Newport Beach that featured like minded folk who are obsessed with this timepiece.

The picture below that is my of two boys taken four years ago when we were living on Oahu. That shot is off Waikiki. We were heavily into water sports while living there. I had the time of my life just living and enjoying the simple life, surfing and working from home (I am a writer, which for the most part afforded me the luxury of working where ever I had an Internet connection, and I chose to move to Hawaii. When we started the company back in 1999, my only quid pro quo was I would do the job from anywhere that I wanted and it was agreed upon.

We all had visions of getting rich off the whole notion of an Internet startup but we were undisciplined at the time and blew through $3 million in less than a year. I was the fourth person hired when we launched in 1999 and we grew from an initial 12 up to 60 and back down to around 12 in one year. This happened when I was in Hawaii and partly due to it, and the terror attacks, we ended up moving back to Cali. We were about two years too late to catch the bubble before it burst, but the good thing is we are still in business and on the Internet, while thousands of other Internet companies that blew through more millions than us are gone, sitting in the digital dustbowl of the Web. It was a learning experience and still is, but I have no regrets.

No comments: