Friday, January 13, 2006

MacBook Pro

I want one. Finally Apple Computer announced that it will ship a notebook computer based on the Intel core Duo CPU. I want one so bad that I'll do anything to get one. You see, I first was exposed to Apple comptuers back in 1989 while doing a report on, of all things, the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Plan, a plan that was supposed to divvy up large haciendas in the Philippines to the farmers who work the land. I stole time on the UC Irvine computer lab with my friends Vinh and Tip, who attended the university. The Mac was actually a Mac classic. It was one of those all in one comptuers with a mouse and everything. the graphical interface was what got me. Just point and click. I was hooked. Today, the mouse and the GUI are common place, thanks to Windows. But anyway, my first computer was a Powerbook, purchased in 1991 for $2499. My second was a Quadra 605 purchased when Josh was just four years old. I was an Apple bigot, until I got a job working for a magazine that published on the Windows platform. Imagine that. Virtually all magazines and newspapers are published on the Mac, but back then we were doing it on Windows, and Windows 3.1 Talking about painful. I even remember seeing a commercial where this guy is at a business meeting and he's got this report all printed out in color and everyone around the table is asking him how it was done, and he has to murmur, under his breath, "macintosh" and when his colleagues ask him again, he says it again, "macintosh," because he doesn't want to disparage the business types who insist on IBM. It was really funny.


Ain't it pretty?

Flash forward about 11 years and Apple, which had been using Motorola CPUs finally ships a Mac with an Intel processor. I just have to figure out a way to justify yet another computer purchase. We've got two notebooks and three desktopm computers on a wireless LAN already in this house. Hmmmm, leeme see. I need a macBookPro because my job requires that I stay up to date with technology? That will fly. I need a macBookPro because Macs are less prone to viruses, popups and other malware? Sure. I need a macBookPro so I can be more eficient with my digital photography? Sure. I need a macBookPro because, well shit because it is a Mac!

No comments: