Saturday, January 21, 2006

Pacman and Soccer moms

I hadn't seen a boxing match in a while but this one was special. First, my cousin Jen Jen sang the Philippine national anthem and I had to see that. I haven't seen her since she was a small girl. She is all grown up and she sang beautifully. Jen jen is my first cousin. Her dad and my mom are siblings and grew up together with my lolo who died in 1989. Jen jen was still small when I last saw her, but tonight she was all grown up, looking more filipina than her older sister Christina. Second was Pacman. Pacman took care of business and knocked out Erik Morales in the 10th round, avenging a lost he received by Morales last eyar in a bruising fight. Watching a boxing match is really hard to watch. you Really gotta feel for the guy who takes the beating.

It was sort of like watching Jeremy's soccer matches today. Jeremy has been playing soccer since September last year, this being his first season playing an organized sport. His team, the Assasins, took first place in their region, and in the process, Jeremy made the all star team as well. So, I've been shuttling him back and forth to soccer games every weekend since September, not counting the week I was in the Philippines or the weekend during Christmas, so you can say I have been the "soccer dad" for the last several months. There is always a running joke about soccer moms, but I don't think the steretype fits the bill with soccer dads, besides, I don't drive a minivan. Today's games, they tied the first, and the second they absolutely ran circles around, beating Santa Ana 11-3. That was like watching the Morales/Pacman fight tonight. Tomorrow will be the final game of the all star season for him, so he (and I) will get a much needed rest from soccer. Won't miss the driving but will miss seeing all the soccer moms.

No comments: