Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Do I Discriminate?

Today was not really a good day for me. First I found out that the City of Newport Beach is threatening to ban fishing off both the Newport and Balboa Piers due to the pier fisherman not picking up their trash and basically making a total mess of the place. And I posted this on a local fishing message board basically blaming the Vietnamese fisherman who fish at the end of those piers everyday catching bonito. (For those of you who don't know, a bonito is known as a little tuna. It is a pelagic fish that fights extremely well on light line). And I got in trouble with the people who post to that message board. But the fact is, the people who are trashing the place, taking more fish than allowed by law, are primarily of Vietnamese origin. I got a full on shitload of dissension from people on that board for being "racially motivated" So my dilemma is, am I racially motivated? I think that I am not, but the way that I had worded the message seemed to construe that I am. Questions were thrown at me like "How do you know they were all vietnamese?" "Maybe they were Korean and you didn't know it" People were indeed pissed off, and I should have used the politically correct term "Asian" and not Vietnamese. The issue with me is, I call it as see it, and I walk that pier everyday and I know who trashes the piers, and after living in Westminster California, (which happens to have the largest concentration of Vietnamese immigrants outside of Vietnam) for 30 of my 30+ years on this earth, I know a vietnamese when I see one. I've had Vietnamese friends growing up and even had several Vietnamese girlfriends while in college. SO Am I Racial? I try not to be but today, my words may have sent the message that I am.


The DEBATE

The third and final debate of the 2004 elections was held tonight with both candidates stretching the truth on the issues that face not only Americans, but the rest of the world. Both candidates did pretty good in skewing the truth, but I just don't like Bush. Which brings me to the topic of my older sister, who is a Bush fan. Bush fans fail to see that their candidate is so wroing on many issues and when I stated that Bush Lies, my sister's husband asked what did he lie about, and I listed off a litany of lies that he has told the American people and the world. After that heated exchange my sister said, let's go we're leaving. And on top of this it was my dad's birthday. It is truly sad that Bush fans can't handle the truth that their president lies. Its hard to defend a liar isn't it. The fact is, he lied about Iraq just so he could depose Saddam Hussein because Hussein allegedly tried to have the First Bush assasinated. Now more than 1000 US Soldiers are dead and the world is no safer. Al Quaida has morphed into this Hydra that keeps growing heads and Iraq is now, thanks to Bush's invasion, a haven for terrorists who plot to kill people. Bush calls Iraq the central front on terror and he is right, thanks to him, there are more terrorists being created in Iraq every day. Think about it, before the invasion, Hussein had an iron grip on security in that country, just like our pal Marcos did. Today, life truly sucked.

No comments: