Monday, October 18, 2004

Please don't dump. . .Drains to Ocean

It rained on Saturday night. It was the first significant precipitation in six months, and when it rains, all of the trash that builds in the storm drains ends up in the ocean. Yup, Newport Beach and all the other beaches on the coast were filled with trash that came down the storm drains. I walked Newport Beach today, from the Newport Pier to the first jetty, and I will tell you there was all kinds of trash on the sand. In addition to broken bits of styrofoam, I saw about two dozen different shoes, at least 30 to 40 tennis balls, several spray paint cans, a golf ball, a big plastic container, lipstick, socks, tons of soda bottles and water bottles, a full bottle of red gatorade, a mattress (I think it was a queen or a double), plastic wrappers, a boat door ( I think it is teak, I picked it up and took it home) for a cuddy cabin, at least four jars of peanut butter, some unopened packets of instant oat meal, a tire, an inner tube, a broken half of a skateboard, some rubber balls, a bunch of packets of hand cleaner, a cactus, tons of driftwood, and all kinds of other stuff. It really amazes me how some things end up in the ocean. I mean, a mattress? and jars of opened peanut butter? How does that end up in the ocean? I grabbed about 16 tennis balls for my dog, and some other foltsam. next I want to graobn some driftwood to put in my garden but we'll see what the next storm churns up. because it is supposed to hit day after tomorrow. I'll try and post some pictures of the junk after the next storm. It truly amazes me all the trash that ends up in the ocean.

No comments: